At Rosemary Lane Nursery School governors work closely with the headteacher, school staff and representatives from the local authority (LA).
“Governing boards are the strategic decision makers and vision setters. They play a vital role in ensuring the best possible education for every child by creating robust accountability for school leaders.” Quote taken from ‘The Governance Handbook’ 2015
The purpose of the Governing Body is to conduct the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement. Its three core strategic functions are:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
Governing Body Committee Structure
Click on each name below to find out more about the Governor roles and responsibilities:
|Relationship to Staff
|Mrs Jill Jones - Head Teacher||Headteacher||01/09/2015 -|
|Teaching, Learning and Achievement; |
Finance, Premises and Personnel
|Councillor Angela Surtees |
Chair of Governors
|Teaching, Learning and Achievement; |
First / Pay Review
|Chair of Governors|
Vice Chair of Curriculum
Training Link Governor
Governor at Easington CofE Primary
|Mrs Katharine Curry - Non-Teaching Staff||Co-opted|
|31/08/2019-08/2023||Finance, Premises and Personnel||H&S Link Gov|
GDPR link Governor
|Related to nursery gardener (23/11/21)||None|
|Mrs Joanne Watson||Co-opted |
|18/02/18-20/02/2022||Finance, Premises and Personnel (Chair); |
|Chair of Finance, Premises and Personnel|
EYPP and DAF Link Gov
|Carried out audit of PSF (23/11/21)||None|
|Mr Calum Osborne - Vice Chair of Governors||Parent |
Finance, Premises and Personnel;
HT's Performance Review
|Vice Chair of Governors|
Safeguarding and CP Link Gov
|Mrs Nicola Spittle||Parent |
|07/2018-07/2022||Finance, Premises and Personnel; First/Pay Review||SEND Link Governor|
LAC Link Governor
|Mr Robert Adcock-Forster||Parent |
|26/11/2019- 26/11/2023||Learning Teaching and Achievement, Finance, Premises and Personnel; First/Pay Review||Chair of Learning Teaching and Achievement committee||Nil (23/11/21)||None|
|Mrs Lauren Robinson||Parent||11/21 - 11/25||Learning Teaching and Achievement||Nil (Dec 2021)||None|
|Mrs Rachel Stirman||Co-opted||01/22 - 01/26||Learning Teaching and Achievement||Nil (January 2022)||None|
|Mrs Rebecca Martin||Staff||02/20 - 02/24||Learning Teaching and Achievement, Finance Premises and Personnel||Nil (23/11/21)||None|
Statutory Guidance for Governing Bodies
Rosemary Lane Nursery School adhere to the statutory guidance from the Department of Education. This means that governing bodies must have regard to it when carrying out duties relating to the constitution of governing bodies in maintained schools.
For further information about our Governors please view or download the documents below.
How To Become A School Governor
If you require further information on the roles and responsibilities of School Governors or you are interested in becoming one, visit the Durham County Council website School Governor section.
You can view our latest Governor Newsletter on our website.
Schools are required to display a record of Governor attendance at meetings for each school academic year.
✓ – Attended meeting
A/A – Apologies sent and accepted by meeting
N – Did not attend
X – Not a member of the committee
Record of Attendance 2021-2022
|Name||Planning meeting of the Full Governing Body 14/10/2021||FPP Committee meeting 09/11/2021||Pay Review Committee meeting 16/11/2021||Full Governing Body meeting 23/11/2021||Planning meeting of the Full Governing Body 20/01/2022|
|Mrs Rebecca Martin||✓||✓||A/A||✓|
|Mrs Joanne Watson - Chair of Finance||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Cllr Angela Surtees - Chair of Governors||✓||✓||✓||A/A|
|Mrs Jill Jones - Head Teacher||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Mr Calum Osborne - Vice Chair of Governors||✓||✓||✓|
|Mr Robert Adcock-Forster||✓||A/A||A/A||✓||✓|
|Mrs Katharine Curry||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Mrs Nicola Spittle||A/A||✓||✓||A/A|
|Mrs Lauren Robinson||✓|
|Mrs Rachel Stirman||✓|
You can also view previous years attendance on our website.
Committee Terms of Reference
Full Governing Body
CHAIR: Cllr A Surtees
VICE CHAIR: Mr C M Osborne
Terms of Reference
Strategic Leadership and Accountability:
- In collaboration with school leaders determine a clear and explicit vision for the future. Ensure this is communicated to the whole organisation.
- Set strong and clear values and ensure these are embedded across the organisation and adhered to.
- Determine the strategic direction for the school.
- Monitor and evaluate pupil progress and attainment by receiving reports and information from the Headteacher and other school leaders; compare against national and local benchmarks over time.
- Receive reports from committees, working parties or individuals and agree actions.
- Approve the SEF and monitor throughout the year.
- Approve the School Improvement Plan priorities
- Monitor throughout the year progress towards agreed actions for the School Improvement Plan and Link Governor areas.
- Ensure there is a transparent system for performance management of all staff which is clearly linked to the school’s priorities. Have oversight of staff performance throughout the year.
- Ensure there are mechanisms in place to listen to and respond to the views of parents/carers, pupils, staff, local communities and employers.
- Agree recruitment process to be followed in relation to Senior Leader posts; where delegated ratify appointments.
- Final approval of the annual budget plan.
- Monitor the school’s budget throughout the year.
- Agree virement and expenditure limits for the Headteacher.
- Hold at least 3 meetings each academic year. Ensure that committee meetings are held in accordance with the agreed terms of reference.
People and Structures:
- Elect and/or remove Chair of Governors and Vice Chair of Governors.
- Appoint Committee Chairs or delegate to each committee.
- Consider and agree delegation of functions to individuals or committees.
- Agree committee terms of reference and membership.
- Establish a register of Governors business interests.
- Ensure Governors information on the Get Information About Schools (GIAS) register and the school website is up to date and compliant with current requirements.
- Confirm the Instrument of Government and subsequent amendments.
- Appoint Co-opted, Local Authority and where necessary Parent Governors to the Board.
- Review and monitor the Governor Induction Process.
- Have regard for Governors professional development.
- Where necessary, suspend or remove Governors from the Board.
- Appoint/dismiss the Clerk to the Governing Body.
Compliance and Evaluation:
- Consider business provided by Local Authority and other sources
- Suspend or end suspension of staff members.
- Ensure all statutory policies are in place and there is an effective policy review cycle (delegated to committee where appropriate).
- Review and agree the Governor Code of Conduct.
- Confirm arrangements for completion of a Governor Skills Audit.
- Ensure there is regular self-evaluation and review of individual’s contribution to the Board as well as the Board’s overall operation and effectiveness.
- As necessary, consider an external review of the Board’s effectiveness.
- Ensure school website is up to date and compliant with current DfE requirements.
Learning, Teaching and Achievement Committee
CHAIR: Mr R Adcock-Forster
Terms of Reference
Curriculum Planning and Delivery:
- Review, monitor and evaluate the curriculum.
- Contribute to and agree priorities for the development and monitoring of the:
- Self-Evaluation form
- School Improvement Plan
- Targets for school improvement
- Develop and review policies identified within the school’s policy review programme and in accordance with its delegated powers e.g. assessment policy
- Ensure that the school’s policy on SEND is monitored and reviewed regularly so that it is consistent with the Code of Practice and Equalities Act 2010
- Ensure Safeguarding policies are adhered to; monitor and review all safeguarding policies/procedures within school.
- Ensure the school complies with the provisions of the Equalities Act 2010.
Assessment and Improvement:
- Monitor the quality of leadership, management, teaching and learning through play. Evaluate how this impacts on rates of pupils progress and standards of achievement
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of continuing professional development on improving staff performance
- Monitor and evaluate rates of progress and standards of achievement for all groups of pupils.
- Monitor and review provision and impact of Early Years Premium and Disability Access Fund (DAF) for all groups of vulnerable children (including Looked After and previously Looked After children).
- Monitor and review pupil attendance data.
- Receive reports from external sources and agree actions to address recommendations; monitor and evaluate progress made.
- Advise the Finance and Premises Committee on the relative funding priorities necessary to deliver the curriculum.
- Monitor the school’s engagement with parents/carers, the wider community and other schools.
- Oversee and monitor arrangements for out of hours provision and educational visits.
- Ensure that adequate provision is made for pupil transition.
MEETINGS: at least termly
CHAIR: Calum Osborne
Terms of Reference
- Consider any appeal against a decision made under the personnel procedures adopted by the Governing Body.
- Consider any appeal against a decision made by the First/Pay Review Committee during the annual review of teachers’ salaries.
- Consider any appeal against selection for redundancy through a staffing reduction process.
- Consider complaints against the school in accordance with the agreed school Complaints Procedure.
MEETINGS: as and when required.
QUORUM: Must have at least the same number of Governors as were present at the original hearing.
DISQUALIFICATIONS: Headteacher; Chair of Governors (if have prior knowledge); any Governor involved in the original hearing; where there may be a conflict of interest; any Governor whose spouse/partner is involved; staff (appeals in relation to salary or staffing reduction decisions)
First / Pay Review Committee
CHAIR: Cllr Angela Surtees
Terms of Reference
- Annually agree the Teachers’ Pay Policy.
- Act in accordance with the Teachers’ Pay Policy when carrying out the annual review of teachers’ salaries.
- Report to the Finance and Premises Committee on pay review related expenditure.
- Consider any requests made in accordance with personnel policies e.g. flexible working, leave of absence etc. (unless delegated to the Headteacher).
- Make any decisions under the personnel procedures adopted by the Governing Body e.g. disciplinary, grievance, ill-health, capability etc. (Unless delegated to the Headteacher).
- Deal with matters relating to staffing reductions.
MEETINGS: at least annually
DISQUALIFICATIONS: Headteacher; Chair of Governors (if have prior knowledge); where there may be a conflict of interest; any Governor whose spouse/partner is involved; staff (annual pay review and matters relating to staffing reductions)
Finance, Premises & Personnel Committee
CHAIR: Mrs J Watson
Terms of Reference
- In conjunction with the Headteacher to draft and propose the first formal budget plan of the financial year for approval by the full Governing Body.
- Establish and maintain an up-to-date financial plan, taking into account priorities in the School Improvement Plan, roll projection and signals from central government and the LA regarding future years’ budget.
- Ensure that priorities detailed within the School Improvement Plan are appropriately costed and are reflected in the annual budget.
- Monitor the budget position statement to identify and address any anomalies from the anticipated position and report termly to the full Governing Body.
- Ensure the school review and monitor outstanding debts and take appropriate action.
- Review the year end outturn report.
- Monitor and approve virements and expenditure over the Headteacher’s delegated limit.
- Appraise and approve spending decisions where competitive quotations or tenders are required.
- Ensure the school operates within the financial regulations of the Local Authority and the requirements of the DfE Schools Financial Value Standard (SFVS).
- Approve annually the Schools Financial Value Standard (SFVS) submission prior to the 31 March deadline and monitor the implementation of any identified actions.
- Monitor expenditure of all voluntary funds held on behalf of the Governing Body by review of an audited annual statement of income and expenditure.
- Annually review the outcomes of the asset register stock check and approve the disposal of obsolete items.
- Ensure appropriate use of the Early Years Premium.
- Review and monitor all financial policies including lettings, charging and remissions and expenses policies.
- Consider and promote income generation.
- Annually review income generated from contracts and lettings (where applicable).
- Where necessary, monitor and review Wrap Around Care / Breakfast Club provision including review of annual income and expenditure statements where applicable.
- Ensure all appropriate insurances are in place.
- Annually review and approve the school’s Financial Procedures Manual.
- Monitor service level agreements annually and make decisions in respect of service level agreements ensuring value for money and report outcome to Full Governing Body.
- Make decisions on expenditure following recommendations from other committees.
- Ensure pay decisions can be appropriately funded.
- Ensure as far as is practical that health and safety issues are appropriately funded in accordance with agreed priorities.
- Annually review financial benchmarking data.
- Monitor the implementation of actions arising from the Internal Audit report or of a financial nature from other inspection regime reports.
- Consider fraud risks.
- Establish, review and monitor the Health and Safety Policy ensuring that the school meets health and safety requirements.
- Ensure actions are taken in respect of relevant health and safety legislation.
- Ensure that premises and the learning environment are maintained and are fit for purpose.
- Provide support and guidance for the Headteacher and Governing Body on all matters relating to the maintenance and development of the premises and grounds, including health and safety.
- Ensure that an annual inspection of the premises and grounds is undertaken and a report received identifying any issues. Inform the Governing Body of the report and set out a proposed order of priorities for maintenance and development for the approval of the Governing Body.
- Ensure professional surveys and emergency works are arranged as necessary.
- Oversee the use of premises by outside users.
- Establish and keep under review an Accessibility Plan and an Asset Management/Building Development Plan.
- Monitor data on accidents and incidents.
- Carry out an annual review of the staffing structure in consultation with the Headteacher.
- Ensure the school is sufficiently staffed to fulfil the effective operation of the school and the School Improvement Plan (SIP).
- Oversee the recruitment and selection procedures for all staff, with the exception of the Headteacher and Assistant Headteacher.
- Develop and review policies identified within the school’s policy review programme and in accordance with its delegated powers (e.g. Appraisal, Whistleblowing, Recruitment and Selection).
- Keep under review work/life balance, working conditions and well-being including monitoring attendance management.
- Review the Single Central Record to ensure compliance with current statutory guidance.
- Approve the Staff Code of Conduct and ensure all staff are aware.
Delegation to the Headteacher
School Staffing (England) Regulations 2009
The Governing Body can delegate the power to appoint outside the leadership group to:
- The Headteacher
- One or more Governors with the right of the Headteacher to advise
- One or more Governors and the Headteacher
Governing Body delegates to the Headteacher responsibility for the appointment of:
- Permanent teaching staff posts
- Permanent support staff posts
- Temporary staff
Governing Body delegates to the Headteacher responsibility up to and including first written warning / first and final written warning / dismissal of:
- All staff other than Headteacher
- Headteacher to a committee of the Governing Body
MEETINGS: at least annually
DISQUALIFICATIONS: where there may be a conflict of or pecuniary interest; any Governor whose spouse/partner is involved
|Virement Limits||Expenditure Limits|
|Limit set for Headteacher without prior written approval of Chair of Governing Body|
Where the cumulative effect of multiple virements on the same budget heading exceeds this limit, details are to be reported to the next Finance and Premises Committee meeting for information and retrospective approval
|£2000||Any items of expenditure up to||£5000
|Limit set for Headteacher with approval from Chair of Governors|
A log of these approvals will be maintained and details reported to the next Finance and Premises Committee meeting.
|£2000 to £5000||Above this limit if item was previously notified to the Governing Body.||£5000
|Prior Finance and Premises Committee or Chair of Governors approval (whichever is the soonest) to be sought outside of these limits and reported to the Finance and Premises Committee at the earliest opportunity.|
NB Any goods/services purchased and works to be carried out are subject to Durham County Council Contract Procedures Rules (January 2014) for quotations i.e. quotations or tenders to be invited from capable contractors based on the likely value of the procurement over its lifetime:
- Between £500 and £5000 at least one quotation
- Between £5001 and £50,000 at least three quotations
- Over £50,000 full tender exercise
Headteacher’s Performance Review Committee
LEAD GOVERNOR: Cllr Angela Surtees
Terms of Reference
- Set, with the support of the External Advisor (EA) or Education Development Partner (EDP) Headteacher’s annual performance objectives.
- Monitor throughout the year the performance of the Headteacher against agreed performance objectives.
- Review, with the support of the External Advisor (EA) or Education Development Partner (EDP) achievement of performance objectives.
- Make recommendations to the First/Pay Review Committee in respect of the Headteacher’s annual pay progression.
MEETINGS: Autumn Term plus monitoring meetings
DISQUALIFICATIONS: Headteacher and staff
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.